There are good use full blogs from lawyers stand point on social networking Etiquette. The recent cisco fatty is eye opener on the topic for those who are actively engaged in social networking and collaboration sphere. It must be coincidental, I heard a comment from one of my best friend during the weekend, “common sense is not common to every one” and cisco fatty incident is one of the best recent example for that comment. That comment needs deep thinking to understand purely. Common sense is a relative word. A set of people may think a set of facts is common sense to everyone. But they are in a sub set and that set is closed (it is true mathematically and it is called subspace) The real problem is, people in that set think they are in the universal set (super set) but they are not.
Social Networking Etiquette:
- Collaborate and share knowledge on common topics with out offending anyone intentionally
- Do not provide and do ignore unprofessional comments or feedback to blogs, youtube,
- Consider every one in your network and extended network is your colleague (not friend!) – The difference between colleague and friend is: Colleague is the one you respect for their value and friend is the one you accept for who they are. In long run, in some cases, colleague will become good friends)
- Be open, listen and you conclude in socnetsphere (I just invented a word. socnetsphere means Social network sphere)
- My dad taught this when I was a little, the best way to gain respect is to show it first. That is also true in socnetsphere. If you do not like somebody’s view, that is fine. We all have freedom to have our opinion.
- Social network is like your lungs. Use it or lose it. We can use social networks effectively to transform our country, our economy, our world & our universe
Thank you to Steve towers on his article on top five business research tools in twitter. Twittersearch and Twellow are my favourites. I can connect with people who matter. Great concept and abundant business value. I searched for topics I currently work in twittersearch and got the list of people who also work in the same area. I saw few twitters aligned to my mental model about simple things like particles. Twellow helped me to explore twittersphere. I love this picture which I found in less than 2 minutes through twittersearch.
I’m sure, String theoriest want to replace every thing on the table except the bowl and book with noodles (strings) but I’m not sure I will be there for that debate.
In last few weeks, there has been increased attention to Twitter micro blogging concept and technology since president elect Barack Obama’s twitter account was hacked along with few other celeberties. Micro blogging was a dismissed concept in its infancy stage and due to its adaption particularly by the teens it gained its popularity and benefit visualization was accomplished in a short time span.
Micro blogging is a compontent of web 2.0 and web 2.0 has been seriously considered by enterprises to maximize the benefits. Vivek Kundra was promoting Twitter in the public office and there are major benefits of micro blogging in the emergency operation.
My views on how Twitter can be applied to an enterprise.
- Twitter can be used to communicate the status of various team members tasks in Agile software development methodology.
- Twitter can be used to keep the key stakeholder updated on the recent progress in production outages resolution (part of incident management)
- Twitter can be used to keep the team members up to date on execution of a major projects when teams are spread across the states, countries and continents
- Twitter can be used to understand what employees really LOVE to do. (All HR policies must be applied before enterprise uses this information for its use)