Delivery of Google’s innovation mission continues and recent launch of google’s browser is an another prime example of their commitment in the innovation. There are already lots of articles surrounding Google’s Chrome and even an article suggested that chrome captured 2.74% market share in a day. I do not believe it and did not do any factual data analysis to verify it. It could be accurate statement for a smaller population but the analysis must be skewed and do not present the whole true market share.
Like millions of the curious people, I down loaded the Chrome on the day it was launched and played around it.
My immediate end user reaction on Chrome:
- Very simple
- Like the logo (Google’s predominant color in the logo)
- Most visited page is already a window (same as alt-tab in windows) in my first page. Very user friendly
- Integrated search with URL edit box
- History of web search is integral of the first page
- Major plugins works
- Looked almost same as the first version of IE in windows 95, when I was extensively using Netscape browsers
- Looked like extension of the google main page.
My immediate technologist reaction on Chrome:
- Very light weight
- Will be easily portal to many platforms (including Mobile platform)
Strategist perspective of Chrome:
- Google is on the right strategic path on launching the Chrome as their browser
- It is a stepping stone for google to completely dominate the next generation web
- Stepping stone to eliminate the notion of personal computer
- Cycling back to the mainframe environment. Yes, Ramba 3270, a thin dumb client and sends every thing to the mainframe to process. Chrome will be next generation 3270 will be sending everything to google to process it
- Chrome will be running in mobile devices like blackberry and the enterprise email will be running in google (gmail) and you will be connected all the time. You are already connected all the time through some means. In the future, it all will be google platform.
- An another browser war started, this time, Microsoft will be tasting their own medicine
Economist perspective of Chrome:
- If this continues, google will control the government in 20 years.
- Some body like Microsoft should react faster to keep up the pace of google, else soon they will grow so big to become monopoly in the technology domain and at the same time make all of us addicted to their technology. (20 years from now, Hail Google!! Hail Google!! will be universal national anthem for every nation in the planet Earth)