Let us say a company FinCo is to provide captive financial business services (BPO – Business Process Outsourcing) to smaller banks or credit unions, the implementation of the service delivery can be hosted in the cloud and can be sold as a business cloud or implemented in the cloud depends on the FinCo’s business model.
The various captive financial business services that can be provided as the business cloud:
- Captive financial business process management – Develop a standard business life cycle and design & implement the business processes in the cloud. The standard captive financial business processes can be extended for the customized business processes for each bank or credit union customers or even a captive financial
- Score card development – The major pieces are FICO score (almost 350+ attributes) and internal credit model
- Base Residual Risk model for the collateral (car)
- Base Pricing Model – Based on the company’s score card , residual risk of the collateral (car) and marketing strategy
- Loan origination – (From customer inquiry to discounting/booking the loan in the portfolio system)
- Floor planning – (whole sale inventory management, insurance, consignment, electronic fund transfer and etc)
- Remarketing (after market life cycle)
- Asset based securitization
Note: This page is used for google’s page rank emprical analysis. The links will be created based on the random graph created. This is node #6 which has the key word: xysivabodzinyx , xysivabodzinxy . As per the graph, it links to page 5
Due to the information over load and power full search engines like google.com, bing.com, the authentic information is freely available for almost any topic ranging from quantum mechanics to cloud computing. An average person can have a decent conversation about any topic with a minimum effort. It is real challenge to determine a real expert in any field in the current information over load.
Experts are not born but they are made. Before an expert becomes an expert they are beginners searching information to get familiar with the topic. In the information over load, a beginner can easily be represented as an expert.
Cloud computing has lots of attention in the current business environment, and IT executives really struggle to differentiate the cloud computing architect with a person JUST knows the right buzz words. A guidelines to differentiate an cloud computing architect and a person JUST knows the right buzz words with basic knowledge about cloud computing.
Cloud computing Architect:
1. In depth understanding of cloud computing tool box –
- Understands the existence and usage of various technical and business cloud environment
- Understands the technical and business stack type in each cloud and usage of those stack for cloning
- Understands each logical and physical unit of the stack (like storage, database, BPMS, OWL, UML, business services like loan origination, consultative service, collection and etc)
- Understands behind the scene technology (like cloud operating system, virtualization, storage area network, data transfer rate, raid type, data redundancy, disaster recovery plan and etc). Some argue, understanding behind the scene technology is not required for an architect. In my strong opinion, that is the differentiator between an architect (expert or evangelist ) and novice (quick concept exposed person). It helps the expert to pick right solution for the right problem.
2. Enterprise view of the cloud –
- Various possible integration of cloud solutions
- Latency between each cloud solutions
3. Solution design –
- Various possible instantiation of the enterprise view of cloud
4. Solution delivery
- This is the most important aspect of a cloud computing architect. First 3 area focuses on the various solution design and its components. The solution delivery focuses on solving a business problem using the packaged cloud solution. It is business problem and solution matching exercise. To illustrate the role of an cloud computing architect let me take a very practical simple example. Let us say, a company wants to sell loan (retail or lease)organization as a service to a smaller banks or credit unions. For this business problem, the solution provider (let us say the company name is FinCo) has to understand the common business process involved in loan organization and customized loan organization for each customer (bank or credit unit) and both common and customized loan organization needs to be implemented using the technology stack like LAMP, Messaging, persistence database and etc. The common loan organization also be imaged for deployment. Common loan organization can be an cloud solution and it is ready to use. When a Finco, get a new customer, it can deploy the common solution in the cloud and made necessary modification to customize the customer needs.Deploying a solution using the loan organization cloud can be done by a sales or presale technical team. The architecture of the loan organization stack in the cloud will be done by the cloud computing architect.
Being a strategist, enterprise architect, chief architect and a leader, I do not believe in setting direction without knowing or approximating the n th step. In one way, it is very mathematical in the approach as similar to dynamic programming. As dynamic programming used computer programs like computer chess programs, estimating the n th step is based on probable choices using intuition and facts. The facts has the highest probability for success than intuition and I prefer to use the fact when fact can be searched and found. Use intuition only when the facts can not be found.
Cloud computing is in every practical enterprise architect’s or IT strategist’s technology road map and the implementation of the cloud computing for any IT organization is the question of when. Cloud computing has enough cloud in the sky and in some area it is already drizzling and in some area it is more than drizzling. It is going to rain and as people say, when it rains, it pours. Same thing is applicable to cloud computing. It is going to rain all over and when it rains, it is going to pour.
To be proactive for any future requirement for the organization (like I did with google apps on gmail), as an enterprise architect leader, I subscribed to the amazon cloud to set up an infrastructure for web hosting.
I would like to summarize my findings in an executive level.
- Set up an elastic amazon cloud for a web site is very easy and designed for a non technical person. (Obviously, it is very very easy to set up for a technical person)
- Select the stack you would like to have in the cloud. There are numerous infrastructure stack already available and ready to use (like wordpress, LAMP, Identity management and etc). It is also easy to create a custom stack for your use or promote it your stack for a public use.
- Create an elastic IP address for the stack created.
- Login to the clone (or instance) using ssh and do the necessary configuration
- Load the application
- Map the domain address to the elastic IP address
- If the traffic to the site increases, increases the number of clones (or instances) associated to the dynamic IP address
- It cost me $2.18 and my 30 minutes time (cost for my 30 minute is priceless!)
All the above steps were done in less than 30 minutes with out any prior training. The site was launched in 30 minutes. The above steps make me think, why an organization has to have an army of people to set up and support an infrastructure? CXO, if you are reading this blog, do not spend any more of your significant G&A budget on the infrastructure, ask your enterprise architect to look into cloud computing and save significant cost and divert your G&A into innovation, investment management and enterprise architecture!