The best managers always take their time to hire the best candidate for a job. There are opinions about the traits of good hiring manager. Finding a best fit allows to have a win-win scenario for both employees and employers. It is relatively straight forward to find a best fit for a technology role or in general, when the roles and responsibilities are clear and globally understood in the organization.
The role of an enterprise architect should be crystal clear to the enterprise architecture teams (if not, it is bigger problem and hiring the best enterprise architect is not relevant). In larger organizations, the over all understanding of an enterprise architect role is not clear. When I asked few managers, senior managers, directors, vice presidents in different areas(IT application, Business infrastructure, shared service area) about their understanding of enterprise architect role, most of them had different understanding and way off from the reality. That is one of the challenge for an enterprise architect to navigate the organization to ensure their value proposition and demonstrate it to the key stakeholders.
I look for these top 10 skills from an enterprise architect:
- Abstract thinking
- Leadership skills
- Executive level communication (ability to communicate to the senior executives effectively)
- Analytical (structure a given problem, garner factual data, perform quantitative analysis and present a solution for a given problem)
- Vertical thinking
- Diplomatic (humbly assertive)
- EA & Strategy concepts
- Turning vision/strategic objectives into working plans
- Attitude (team player, more I’s used the less qualified EA)
- Correlation skills (connecting the dots of multiple disjoint events)
To me, mastered EA frameworks, using the right buzz words (like SOA, BPM, web 2.0 etc), worked in big 4 in the enterprise architecture area does not necessarily qualify to become a successful EA in a team which believes EA has a ROI. I believe my vision of EA team will work on requests like provide various scenarios to reduce the over all IT G&A budget by 10% without affecting the quality, quantity of services and head count. EA will present the various existing scenarios (scenario planning) in the organization to achieve this goal withing the given parameters and over coming the constrains. Knowledge can be always be learned and acquired.
For the above EA/IT Strategist role and to generate this level of value to an organization, how to hire the best candidate?
Hiring process consists of structure, clarity on the requirement, assessment of candidate skills and intuition. I had great success, ok success with fine tuning after the hire and utterly wrong in the judgment.
How to hire the best EA/IT Strategist?
- Filter the resumes
- Screen the filtered resumes over phone (look for communication, passion, knowledge, thrive, drive, openness, listening)
- Bring the screened candidate for a group interview
- Start with personal stuff like hobbies, drive time, why they want to join, their current understanding of the requirement, articulation of the employers requirements etc
- During the interview, look for the following
- Smarter than me (EA Manager). Drive the right conclusion faster.
- Ask them to analyze an incremental problem and focus on the approach and not on the solution. Incremental problem: provide a simple problem and keep increasing the constraints
- Seek for the correlation skills (how they are connecting the dots)
- How much patience they show in understanding the grass root of the problem
The above procedure helped to get great EA/IT Strategiest candidates and worked 83.33% of time.