I had a dream . The dream was to map out all business processes in an organization, develop the run time from the process map, validate the function of the new run time and sun down all existing systems. It was a dream few years ago. I challenge myself, it is not a dream any more and we, as an industry, are moving towards it. We may not be there today to make it real but we are in the path of it.
Information technology is slowing becoming business technology and technology will become a black box managed by set of providers. Business technology management team will manage only set of providers but not technology in near future.
Phase #1 of the dream:
- Select a cost effective BPMS software
- Utilize internal & external resources to map out the processes using the BPMS
- Host it in the cost effective platform as a service (Cloud computing)
- Leverage the centralized business process map to simulate/emulate any new business ideas
- Validate the new business ideas for strong business case
- Develop the application from the process map and launch it in PaaS (Platform as a service) like Google apps.
The first step of the phase #1 is to select the cost effective BPMS software. I do not need to amplify why it needs to be cost effective and economical option. Due to the global economical crisis, most of the organization is on the lights on mode, and minimum budget allocated for any discretionary spend for this year. Economical and cost effective alternatives are not differentiators in the competitive environment, it is a survival ingredient.
The question is, what is the total cost of ownership for Intalio installation in an enterprise. More to come on the findings..