Fifteen years ago, seeking for useful information in a public domain was a challenge and where as today, we have the opposite problem. There are lots of information available on any topic.
The social networking sites enables the right information come to us instead of we seek for it. But still, filtering the information is a key challenge. We more often go to search engine like google for information and filtering techniques in the google helps us to receive the most relevant information quickly.
Recently, I wrote a job aid/reference on “How to google effectively” and there are few beneficiary of that document personally stopped by my desk at work and thanked me for that job aid. That was signficantly modified by other team members in the organization and published to the entire organization.
We decided that live demonstration on utilizing google search engine using the job aid would give more clarity on usage. A work shop was scheduled and opened up to entire organization with the limit of 40 users and it filled up almost immediately. I conducted the work shop to the signed audience from business and IT area on how to google effectively using google keywords like file type, site, define, “wiTHin qUoTeS”, and etc.
I took a simple scenario (#1), search for presentation material in educational institutes containing our company name. Run the scenario as a novice search engine users and showed the total number of relevant documents returned by google was around 1.2 million documents. Used various google key words and step wise demonstrated how the results can be narrowed down and eventually reached 9 most relevant documents. In scenario (#2), demonstrated how to search effectively to understand the basic definition of crowd sourcing, scenario (#3) was to find the patterns registered in core business. Had few more scenarios and explained, in high level, how google works using their pagerank algorithm and the required knowledge level for internet marketing group to increase pagerank of our web sites and eventually to increase the number of potential customer visits to our web sites.
A scenario (#n) given by an audience on how to search satellite images of a used car dealership in America. The scenario is so broad and the criteria required refinement before we jump into search of ocean of information. The criteria was narrowed down just to Michigan. The results returned as a map data (kml extension file) and these files read by free software like google earth. The kml extension files contained locations of all used car dealership in Michigan with the satellite images. Since I didn’t have google earth installed in my laptop , I could not demonstrated the results back to the audience. The purpose of the write-up is to display the results of the kml extension file and raise the question if google should consider to directly read the kml extension file in their google maps.
There are good use full blogs from lawyers stand point on social networking Etiquette. The recent cisco fatty is eye opener on the topic for those who are actively engaged in social networking and collaboration sphere. It must be coincidental, I heard a comment from one of my best friend during the weekend, “common sense is not common to every one” and cisco fatty incident is one of the best recent example for that comment. That comment needs deep thinking to understand purely. Common sense is a relative word. A set of people may think a set of facts is common sense to everyone. But they are in a sub set and that set is closed (it is true mathematically and it is called subspace) The real problem is, people in that set think they are in the universal set (super set) but they are not.
Social Networking Etiquette:
- Collaborate and share knowledge on common topics with out offending anyone intentionally
- Do not provide and do ignore unprofessional comments or feedback to blogs, youtube,
- Consider every one in your network and extended network is your colleague (not friend!) – The difference between colleague and friend is: Colleague is the one you respect for their value and friend is the one you accept for who they are. In long run, in some cases, colleague will become good friends)
- Be open, listen and you conclude in socnetsphere (I just invented a word. socnetsphere means Social network sphere)
- My dad taught this when I was a little, the best way to gain respect is to show it first. That is also true in socnetsphere. If you do not like somebody’s view, that is fine. We all have freedom to have our opinion.
- Social network is like your lungs. Use it or lose it. We can use social networks effectively to transform our country, our economy, our world & our universe
Thank you to Steve towers on his article on top five business research tools in twitter. Twittersearch and Twellow are my favourites. I can connect with people who matter. Great concept and abundant business value. I searched for topics I currently work in twittersearch and got the list of people who also work in the same area. I saw few twitters aligned to my mental model about simple things like particles. Twellow helped me to explore twittersphere. I love this picture which I found in less than 2 minutes through twittersearch.
I’m sure, String theoriest want to replace every thing on the table except the bowl and book with noodles (strings) but I’m not sure I will be there for that debate.
In last few weeks, there has been increased attention to Twitter micro blogging concept and technology since president elect Barack Obama’s twitter account was hacked along with few other celeberties. Micro blogging was a dismissed concept in its infancy stage and due to its adaption particularly by the teens it gained its popularity and benefit visualization was accomplished in a short time span.
Micro blogging is a compontent of web 2.0 and web 2.0 has been seriously considered by enterprises to maximize the benefits. Vivek Kundra was promoting Twitter in the public office and there are major benefits of micro blogging in the emergency operation.
My views on how Twitter can be applied to an enterprise.
- Twitter can be used to communicate the status of various team members tasks in Agile software development methodology.
- Twitter can be used to keep the key stakeholder updated on the recent progress in production outages resolution (part of incident management)
- Twitter can be used to keep the team members up to date on execution of a major projects when teams are spread across the states, countries and continents
- Twitter can be used to understand what employees really LOVE to do. (All HR policies must be applied before enterprise uses this information for its use)