Economist and financial analyst says the current economical condition is the worst since great depression. The crisis exist in all fronts. The magnitude of global issues are very high. The financial & economical growth are not bright in near future. Companies are looking for cost optimization and eliminating discretionary spending in all areas.
Enterprise architects can play a signficant role in any organization to optimize the current spend and provide facts based data to eliminate the discretionary spending. Enterprise architects are the best qualified and well suited person to perform this role since they understand holistic view of organization from financial, organization, application, business, information and infrastructure perspective.
Potential cost optimization areas where enterprise architects can assist an organization
- Contract negogiation with existing providers (software, hardware, maintenace and enhancement, right sourcing, contractor, professional services)
- Application portfolio assessment – Sundown or eliminate applications in the landscape does not add signficant value to core business processes
- Technology simplification – Eliminate and reduce the technologies in the landscape
- Sourcing strategy – Bundle the applciation for cost effective service offering
- Reduce technological complexity – Migrate the enterprise software (like IBM websphere or BEA weblogic, IBM DB2, Oracle, Portal server and etc)usage to open source software
- Maximize Web 2.0 technology for corporate colloboration- (Use Wiki, Blogs, youtube and etc)
- Assist business teams in optimizing the business processes – reduce steps in return reduce head counts
- Explore to migrate current licensing models to the term based licenses to improve the cash flow of organization
I believe there has been increased clarity on the information architecture roles in the recent years. Particularly there are few good healthy discussions on how to develop an enterprise architects and what should be their roles? and what is the value proposition to an organization? In general, there is a better awareness in the senior and executive management teams to differentiate an enterprise architect with other architects (system architects, information architects, business architects, process architects and etc). It has been a challenge for the executives to define the apt size of the enterprise architects for their organization.
The question is: What is the apt size of an enterprise architecture team for an organization?
Consultant Answer: It depends..
Consultant answer is correct.
The real question is: What are the factors used to determine size of an enterprise architecture team in an organization?
The list of enterprise level factors used to determine the size of an enterprise architecture team.
- Number of products/service provided by the organization
- Revenue of the organization
- Profit of the organization
- Business Process maturity of the organization
- Finance & controlling maturity level
The list of IT factors used to determine the size of an enterprise architecture team.
- Number of people (including employees, contractors, consultants, out sourced) and their ratio
- IT budget and Finance management controls
- IT Process and system maturity level
- Enterprise architecture adaption rate (or EA maturity assessment)
Based on the above factors the EA team can be classified as large, medium and small. Large is of team size of 50+, medium is of team size between 15-50 and small is of team size less than 20. Let me emphasis the small EA team. I believe majority of the corporation will come under this category and let me expand on the small size of EA team.
Organization structure for a small size EA Team:
Chief Architect (or manager of EA team) should directly report to the CIO. Along with EA function, IT Finance management, IT Security, SOX controls, vendor management functionalities also should come under the same small size EA team.
(Double click the image to zoom..)